Barbecue Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz uncooked rotini pasta 1 package
- 1 small red onion halved, and thinkly sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter cubed (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 drops liquid smoke optional
- 8 oz Carr Valley 1 Year Aged Cheddar cheese shredded (2 cups)
- 6 oz Carr Valley Smoked Gouda cheese shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded 4 ounces each
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- minced fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, and additional barbecue sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion and jalapeno pepper in butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in flour until combined.
- Gradually stir in milk and liquid smoke if desired.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually stir in cheddar and gouda until melted.
- Stir in the pasta, chicken, barbecue sauce and cayenne pepper; heat through.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro and additional barbecue sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!